Skip to main content

Actual Engine - Percent Torque 

• 26 September 2023

“Actual Engine - Percent Torque is a parameter in “Insights” for machine/plant types such as crawler crane, generator, air compressor.

How is the above parameter related to utilisation of the machine ?

If the percent torque is low say 20 to 30%, does it mean that I am not using the machine to its limit or is it because it is running efficiently ?

Hello Wana 👋

Welcome to the Trackunit Community! 🤗

That is a very interesting question 🤓, and I actually raised it to my colleagues in the Technical Support.

I got this from them: Torque is a parameter used for cars, like horsepower. It is very combustion and engine related. 

As an example, let say 20% is the value shown in the Insights, it is the real engine value so it means it is using 20% of the available engine Torque. 

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to reply if you need more info 😄

@Wana I can also add a little here. Depending on the machine type it can help you understand if your machine is being utilized properly or not. 

If we take generators as an example, in some cases you can use this insight to understand if the generator is being used efficiently. An approximation with the torque insight can be made to understand how much load is on the generator and thus keep and eye out on if you’re underloading or overloading it which can cause harm to the generator.

Hi @Wana,

to the best of my knowledge, we do not use “Actual Engine - Percent Torque” to differentiate utilization. Utilization is usually driven by engine status. If the engine is on then we count this as “it’s operating” and it adds to its utilization. This coincides with “Actual Engine - Percent Torque” being not 0.

However, there may be machine and install specific variations.

@Wana I can also add a little here. Depending on the machine type it can help you understand if your machine is being utilized properly or not. 

If we take generators as an example, in some cases you can use this insight to understand if the generator is being used efficiently. An approximation with the torque insight can be made to understand how much load is on the generator and thus keep and eye out on if you’re underloading or overloading it which can cause harm to the generator.

How is the percent torque related to the current supplied by the generator ? That was my question.

Let say, a generator has a maximum supply of 200A. After I connect some equipment such as water pumps and welding machine to the generator, the trackunit sensor says the percent torque is 10%.  Does it mean that I am only using 20A from the generator ?  

Is it possible to get/convert the Utilisation bar chart data of stopped, working, idle in excel or CSV format?

So the correlation between torque and load is only qualitative not quantitative? 

@Wana - Speaking towards the theoretical relationship in generators - As load (current) demand on the generator increases, there must be more torque to the rotor to meet the increased demand so these two things are proportional.

This is very much speaking about generators. The Torque datapoint when applied to other types of machines may be used differently and depends on a multitude of factors.

Hope this helps!